Dr. Georgia Bedford
Position: Higher Education, Communication, Argumentation, Public Debate
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Dr. Georgia Bedford Bio
Dr. Georgia Bedford possesses a unique combination of educational leadership experience across prestigious institutions, including the University of Pittsburgh, Slippery Rock University, Robert Morris University, Penn State, and Duquesne University. Her background also includes robust business acumen, with roles as a Consulting COO, Project Manager, and Director of Communications. She excels at leveraging her extensive education and business experiences to coordinate and administer academic programs while implementing strategic plans independently and in collaboration with diverse stakeholders.
Acting Associate Director William Pitt Debating Union (WPDU)/Visiting Lecturer (University of Pittsburgh)
- Current Position (Aug 2022 - Present)
- Dr. Bedford plays a pivotal role at the William Pitt Debating Union, where she oversees the organization of public debates addressing critical local, regional, and national issues. These debates feature a blend of student and expert advocates, audience participation segments, and tailored formats. Dr. Bedford has also hosted international debating teams, including those from the UK, Japan, Russia, and Ireland. She played a significant role in teaching the public debate process to high school students in several countries as part of civil society empowerment efforts.
Visiting Lecturer of Communication, Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences (University of Pittsburgh)
- Current Position (Aug 2020 - Present)
- Based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Dr. Bedford serves as a Visiting Lecturer of Communication at the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences. Her expertise encompasses argumentation, public speaking, organizational communication, interpersonal communication, rhetoric and society, and the communication process. She adeptly employs a range of teaching methods, including virtual, remote, synchronous, asynchronous, and face-to-face formats, utilizing tools such as Canvas, Panopto, Zoom, and Office 365.
Adjunct Professor (Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences)
- Present Position (2016 - Present)
- Dr. Bedford has been an Adjunct Professor for seven years and nine months, teaching courses such as Public Speaking Honors, Public Speaking, Strategies in Diversity and Inclusion pedagogy for domestic and international students. She excels in syllabus development, pedagogical innovation, and supporting students in their academic journeys.
Full-Time Faculty (College of Business and Honors College, Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania)
- Present Position (2013 - Present)
- As a Full-Time Faculty member, Dr. Bedford has dedicated ten years and nine months to Slippery Rock University. She actively participates in departmental committees, spearheading initiatives related to communication assessment, curriculum development, and faculty mentoring. Her contributions have significantly enhanced the university's mission of teaching, learning, and research.
Remote Consulting COO (Natalia Rose Institute)
- Position (2014 - Aug 2022)
- Dr. Bedford's role as a Remote Consulting COO at Natalia Rose Institute showcased her exceptional leadership and management abilities. She successfully implemented a comprehensive 5-year strategy, overcoming major challenges during the company's relocation from New York City to Cape Town, South Africa. Her achievements include standardizing operations, rebranding, and restructuring, which led to revenue growth and new partnerships.
Adjunct Professor (Penn State University)
- Position (2009 - Aug 2022)
- For over thirteen years and eight months, Dr. Bedford has been an Adjunct Professor at Penn State University, specializing in Rhetoric and Composition, English for remedial learners, student mentoring, and tutoring.
Adjunct Professor (Robert Morris University)
- Position (2009 - Aug 2022)
- Dr. Bedford has served as an Adjunct Professor at Robert Morris University for thirteen years and eight months, teaching courses in argumentation, research, intercultural communication, public speaking, persuasion, and reading and writing strategies.
Adjunct Professor (Duquesne University)
- Position (2006 - Aug 2022)
- With a tenure of sixteen years and eight months, Dr. Bedford has been an Adjunct Professor at Duquesne University. Her expertise covers exploring intercultural communication, business and professional communication, and public speaking, among others.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Rhetoric & Communication (Duquesne University)
- Dr. Bedford earned her Ph.D. with a focus on Organizational Communication, Intercultural Communication, Interpersonal Communication, and Communication Ethics. Her dissertation, titled "Finding Whole Learning in an Age of Mechanistic Pedagogy," reflects her commitment to innovative teaching methodologies.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Community Leadership (Duquesne University)
- Dr. Bedford's M.S. degree equipped her with expertise in nonprofit/business collaborative partnerships, human and financial resource management, program design, assessment, improvement, and grants.
Dual Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Public Administration and Legal Studies (University of Pittsburgh)
- As the founder of the University of Pittsburgh Society for Public Administration, Dr. Bedford's undergraduate education honed her skills in nonprofit management, policy analysis, grant writing, and the legal environment of business.
Board of Directors (Past) at Three Rivers Community Foundation
- Dr. Bedford has contributed to the Three Rivers Community Foundation, an organization dedicated to advancing social change through grantmaking, advocacy, and capacity development for grassroots and other organizations in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Faculty Development Grant Reviewer at Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education
- Her commitment to education extends to reviewing faculty development grants, and supporting the enhancement of higher education across Pennsylvania's State System.
Faculty Mentor, Office of Inclusivity and Excellence at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Bedford has served as a faculty mentor, fostering inclusivity and excellence at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania.
The Undergraduate Research, Scholarship and Creative Achievement (URSCA) Committee, Reviewer at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
- As a reviewer for the URSCA Committee, Dr. Bedford actively contributes to the promotion of undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative achievement.
Dr. Bedford has been involved in various impactful projects, including presentations at conferences, where she has explored topics related to communication and education. Her work showcases her dedication to advancing knowledge in her field.
- Staff Development
- Online Teaching
- Strategic Communications
- Interpersonal Skills
- Learning Management Systems
- Organizational Communication
Honors & Awards:
Speaking in the Disciplines Fellowship (University of Pittsburgh)
- In recognition of her commitment to integrating oral communication into disciplinary studies, Dr. Bedford was awarded the Speaking in the Disciplines Fellowship by the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Studies.
Graduate Assistantship (Duquesne University)
- Dr. Bedford received a full scholarship and served as a Graduate Assistant, demonstrating her academic excellence and dedication to her field.
Dr. Bedford is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Society for the History of Rhetoric, Eastern Communication Association, National Communication Association, and more.
Dr. Georgia Bedford's commitment to social change is evident through her involvement in causes related to arts and culture, civil rights, education, the environment, human rights, poverty alleviation, science, and technology. She is a dedicated advocate for positive societal transformation.